Kiambu Governor Waititu - I Interpret The Law The Way I Want

Kenya news.
jasho

Kiambu Governor Waititu - I Interpret The Law The Way I Want

Post by jasho » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 am

Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu: “I do not have to operate county activities from my office at the county headquarters. I can do it from anywhere. The court was very clear that the only place I cannot access is the county headquarters, but Kiambu is a very big county with a lot of places to conduct and run the affairs of the people who voted for me.”
https://www.nation.co.ke/counties/kiamb ... index.html
KiambuGovernor_FerdinandWaititu.jpg
The ruling that public officials must stay away from their offices if charged with corruption will become a joke, if the interpretation by cunning lawyers that it simply means the officials only need to avoid the physical offices, but can continue running their official businesses from elsewhere, is allowed to stand.

Other corrupt public officials are watching Kiambu County shenanigans very keenly.

I am no lawyer, but this is my understanding of this matter: If Mr Waititu convenes a meeting with County officials, or directs County officials to perform an official duty, he will have breached his bond terms. Therefore, it would be upon the DCI to arrest him immediately and take him to court.

A person occupying a senior public position like a governor would have a lot of opportunities to defeat the course of justice if he is allowed to continue executing official duties while charged with corruption.

If a governor is innocent, he wouldn’t want to delay the corruption case. Therefore, the case could be concluded in a matter of months, and if found innocent, he would be back in office, with his reputation enhanced.

But if a governor knows he has stolen public money, he would absolutely hate to step aside while the corruption case is going on. He would want to eat with an even bigger spoon before he is declared guilty and loses his job.

jasho

Kiambu Governor Waititu Ordered to Stay Away From County Offices

Post by jasho » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:37 am

Waititu_NgenyeMacharia.jpg
August 8, 2019: “Kiambu governor Ferdinand Waititu has once again been barred from accessing his county offices pending the determination of a graft case against him.

Justice Ngenye Macharia ruled that Waititu’s bail review application lacked merit and ordered the Kiambu governor to pick his personal belongings from the county offices within 24 hours accompanied by a detective from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.

“Allowing Waititu to access office would be absurd and a mockery to the constitution,” the judge said in his ruling. “However, Watitu’s defence lawyer Prof Tom Ojienda indicated that the governor was considering appealing the decision.”
https://www.kbc.co.ke/waititu-given-24- ... elongings/

July 30, 2019: “The court has barred Kiambu County Governor Ferdinand Waititu from accessing County offices pending hearing and determination of a criminal case against him.

Chief Magistrate Lawrence Mugambi ordered Waititu alongside 9 other suspects facing corruption-related charges relating to a Ksh 588 million scandal to surrender their passports and travel documents to the courts.”
https://www.kbc.co.ke/waititu-freed-on- ... is-office/

Way to go. This means that there are judges and magistrates who understand that Kenya is in a state of emergency corruption-wise, and therefore a time has come to declare that Kenya is more important than any individual.

In many old democracies (that are also 1st world in terms of development), it is possible that only maybe less than 1% among the people who handle public monies, are inclined to want to steal. In Kenya, the figure is around 90%. This is a national crisis.

Therefore, extraordinary measures are needed, right from the investigators, to the prosecutors, and judges, all working in tandem to defeat this corruption monster.

Good work Mr Mugambi and Mr Macharia.